Carlos Henrique Araújo Fonsêca, Bruno Carvalho Marques, Leonardo Bispo Reis, Darcy Andrade Cardoso Lima, Luiz Henrique Silva Mota, Raoni dos Santos Andrade, Glauber Andrade dos Santos, Ana Lúcia Moreno Amor
Journal of Advances In Allergy & Immunologic Diseases
VOLUME: 2 ISSUE: 1
Respiratory allergies may develop at any age, but the onset are more frequent in childhood and juvenile population due to genetic factors and to development of the immune system, which may presents as rhinitis and/or asthma. In Brazil, asthma is the second cause of hospital admission in children aged four to nine years old and the third in adolescents. Exposure to pathogens, particularly helminths, and their products are common in developing countries, and it appears to protect against the development of autoimmune and allergic diseases in experimental and human models. Based on these data, the present study investigated the presence of allergic conditions, infection by intestinal parasites and symptomatology on the juvenile population of the rural area of Santo Antônio de Jesus (Bahia - Brazil), from July to October, 2015. A questionnaire was applied to evaluate asthma and allergic symptoms and the parasitological feces exam was performed in 47 individuals. The study identified 81% of the positive samples for at least one parasite species; 45% polyparasitism; and the prevalence to Endolimax nana (48%) and hookworms (39%); eczema as the predominant allergic manifestation (34%) and headache, fatigue after physical activity, urticaria, itching in the head and nervousness as the most frequent signs and symptoms. The prevalence of enteroparasites, respiratory allergy and the symptoms associated with each of them are present in the studied population, and it may be related not only to the infection, but also to the presence of previous or overlapping diseases.
- Faria CP, Zanini GM, Dias GS, da Silva S, de Freitas MB, Almendra R, et al. Geospatial distribution of intestinal parasitic infections in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and its association with social determinants. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017; 11(3): e0005445. PMid:28273080 PMCid:PMC5358884 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Melo ACFL, Furtado LFV, Ferro TC, Bezerra KC, Costa DCA, Costa LA, Da Silva LR. Parasitic contamination of lettuce and its relation with parasitic infections in food handlers. Rev. Tr?pica: Ci?ncias Agr?rias e Biol?gicas. 2011; 5(3):47-52.
- Santos-J?nior GO, Silva MM e Santos FLN. Intestinal parasitoses in children from a rural area of Bahia, Brazil, by the method of spontaneous sedimentation. Revista de Patologia Tropical. 2006; 35(3): 233-240.
- Vasconcelos IAB, Cabral F, Oliveiro JW, Rubens F, Coutinho HDM, Menezes IRA. Prevalence of intestinal parasite infections among 4- to 12-year-old children in Crato, Cear? State. Acta Scientiarum. Health Sciences. 2011; 33(1):35-41.
- Pedrosa EFNC, Cabral BL, Almeida PRSF, Madeira MP, Carvalho BD, Bastos KMS, Vale JM. Environmental contamination of sand beaches of Fortaleza - Cear?. Journal of Health and Biological Sciences. 2014; 2(1).
- OMS 2011. Helminthiasis: soil-transmitted helminths . View Article
- Ara?jo MI, Lopes A, Medeiros M, Cruz AA, Sousa-Atta I, Sole D, Carvalho EM. Inverse association between skin response to aeroallergens and Schistosoma mansoni infection. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2000; 123(2):145-8. PMid:11060486 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Scrivener S, Yemaneberhan H, Zebenigus M, Tilahun D, Girma S, Ali S., McElroy P, Custovic A, Woodcock A, Pritchard D, Venn A, Britton J. Independent effects of intestinal parasite infection and domestic allergen exposure on risk of wheeze in Ethiopia: a nested case-control study. Lancet. 2001; 358(9292):1493-9. 06579-5 View Article
- Carvalho FL, Souza VB, Jesus JM, Santos IP, Almeida JS, Pereira JS, Jesus RS, Silva IM, Amor ALM. Enteroparasites, socio-cultural indicators and health in a population from 0 to 18 years from the city of Santo Ant?nio de Jesus (Bahia) - Period from 2010 to 2011. J Health Biol Sci. 2016; 4(1):8-17. View Article
- Strachan DP. Family size, infection and atopy: the first decade of the "hygiene hypothesis". Thorax. 2010; 55(1):S2-10.
- Marks G, Pearce N, Strachan D, Asher I. Global burden of disease due to asthma. In: The Global Asthma Report 2014. Auckland, New Zealand: Global Asthma Network, 2014, 16-21.
- Castro LKK, Neto AC, Filho OFF. Prevalence of symptoms of asthma, rhinitis and atopic eczema among students between 6 and 7 years of age in the city of Londrina, Brazil. J Bras Pneumol. 2010; 36(3):286-292. PMid:20625664 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Prisco MCD, Puccio IH, Puccio F. Efectos moduladores de las parasitosis helm?nticas en el desarrollo del asma y las enfermedades al?rgicas. Academia Biom?dia Digital. 2006; 26.
- Cooper PJ, Rodrigues LC, Cruz AA, Barreto ML. Asthma in Latin America: a public heath challenge and research opportunity. Allergy. 2009; 64(1):5-17. ttps://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01902.x PMid:19076533 PubMed/NCBI
- D?az RLAJ, Van der Werff DS. Helmintos, nutrici?n y alergia: asociaciones epidemiol?gicas en escolares cubanos. Revista Cubana de Higiene y Epidemiolog?a. 2013; 51(3): 365-370.
- Robinson DS, Larch? M, Durham SR. Tregs and allergic disease. J Clin Invest. 2004; 114:1389-1397. PMid:15545986 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Coomes SM, Kannan Y, Pelly VS, Entwistle LJ, Guidi R, Perez-Lloret J, Nikolov N, Muller W, Wilson MS. CD4+ Th2 cells are directly regulated by IL-10 during allergic airway inflammation. Mucosa Immunology. 2017; 10:150-161. PMid:27166557 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Maizels RM. Parasitic helminth infections and the control of human allergic and autoimmune disorders. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2016; 22(6):481?486. PMid:27172808 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Webb EL, Nampijja M, Kaweesa J, Kizindo R, Namutebi M, Nakazibwe E, Oduru G, Kabubi P, Kabagenyi J, Nkurunungi G, Kizito D, Muhangi L, Akello M, Verweij JJ, Nerima B, Tukahebwa E, Elliott AM. Helminths are positively associated with atopy and wheeze in Ugandan fishing communities: results from a cross-sectional survey. Allergy. 2016; 71(8):1156?1169. PMid:26918891 PMCid:PMC4949563 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Dagoye D, Bekele Z, Woldemichael K, Nida H, Yimam M, Hall A, Venn AJ, Britton JR, Hubbard R, Lewis SA. Wheezing, allergy, and parasite infection in children in urban and rural Ethiopia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 167:136973. PMid:12738598 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Falcone FH, Pritchard DI. Parasite role reversal: worms on trial. Trends Parasitol. 2005; 21:157160. PMid:15780835 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Santos LN, Pacheco LGC, Pinheiro CS, Alc?ntara-Neves NM. Recombinant proteins of helminths with immunoregulatory properties and their possible therapeutic use. Acta Tropica. 2017; 166:202?211. PMid:27871775 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Shiny C, Krushna NS, Babu S, Elango S, Manokaran G, Narayanan RB. Recombinant Wolbachia heat shock protein 60 (HSP60) mediated immune responses in patients with lymphatic filariasis. Microbes Infect. 2011; 13:1221?1231. PMid:21827871 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Layland LE, Straubinger K, Ritter M, Loffredo-Verde E, Garn H, Sparwasser T, Prazeres da Costa C. Schistosoma mansoni-mediated suppression of allergic airway inflammation requires patency and Foxp3+ Treg cells. PLoS Negl. Trop. Dis. 2013; 7(e2379): 1-10. View Article
- Du L, Wei H, Li L, Shan H, Yu Y, Wang Y, Zhang G. Regulation of recombinant Trichinella spiralis 53 kDa protein (rTsP53) on alternatively activated macrophages via STAT6 but not IL-4R in vitro. Cell. Immunol. 2014; 288:1?7. PMid:24534206 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- H?bner MP, Shi Y, Torrero MN, Mueller E, Larson D, Soloviova K, Gondorf F, Hoerauf A, Killoran KE, Stocker JT, Davies SJ, Tarbell KV, Mitre E. Helminth protection against autoimmune diabetes in nonobese diabetic mice is independent of a type 2 immune shift and requires TGF. J. Immunol. 2012; 188: 559?568. PMid:22174447 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Bashi T, Bizzaro G, Ben-Ami Shor D, Blank M, Shoenfeld Y. The mechanisms behind helminth's immunomodulation in autoimmunity. Autoimmun. Rev. 2015; 14:98?104. PMid:25449677 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Maizels RM, McSorley HJ. Regulation of the host immune system by helminth parasites. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2016; 138(3):666?675. PMid:27476889 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Silva AS, Silva IMM, Rebou?as LT, Almeida JS, Rocha EVS, Amor ALM. Parasitological and microbiological analysis of vegetables sold in Santo Ant?nio de Jesus, Bahia (Brazil). Vigil. Sanit. Debate 2016; 4(3):77-85.
- Asher MI, Keil U, Anderson HR, Beasley R, Crane J, Martinez F, Mitchell EA, Pearce N, Sibbald B, Stewart AW, Strachan D, Weiland SK, Williams HC International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC): rationale and methods. Eur Respir J. 1995; 8(3):483-91. PMid:7789502 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- De Carli GA. Parasitologia Cl?nica: sele??o de m?todos e t?cnicas de laborat?rio para o diagn?stico das parasitoses humanas. S?o Paulo: Atheneu; 2001.
- Oliveira MC, Silva CV, Costa-Cruz JM. Intestinal parasites and commensals among individuals from a landless camping in the rural area of Uberl?ndia, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Rev. Inst. Med. Trop. S. Paulo. 2003; 45(3): 173-176. PMid:12870069 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Amor ALM, Oliveira VF. Comparative study of the association between the occurrence of intestinal parasites and different epidemiological and clinical variables in the Ribeira I community residents, Araci - BA, Brazil. RBAC. 2017; 49(3):294-300.
- Tashima NT, Sim?es MJS. Enteroparasitic occurrence in fecal samples analyzed at the University of Western S?o Paulo-UNIOESTE clinical laboratory, Presidente Prudente, S?o Paulo State, Brazil. Rev Inst Med Trop. 2004; 46(5):243-8. View Article
- Zaiden MF, Santos BMO, Cano MAT, Nascif-J?nior IA. Intestinal parasitosis epidemiology in children from a child day care centers in Rio Verde-GO, Brazil. Medicina (Ribeir?o Preto). 2008; 41:182-187. View Article
- Sol? DA, Nelson A. Ros?rio FB, Sarinhoc ES, Camelo-nunes IC, Bruno A, Ros?rio Filho NA, Sarinho ES, Camelo-Nunes IC, Barreto BAP, Medeiros ML, Franco JM, Camargos PA, Mallol J, Gurgel R, Andrade DM, Furlan FP, Silva AR, Cardozo C, Andrade C. Prevalence of asthma and allergic diseases in adolescents: nine-year follow-up study (2003-2012). J Pediatr. 2015; 91(1):30-35. PMid:25046259 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Braz M, Filho AAB, Barros MBA. Adolescent health: a population-based study in Campinas, S?o Paulo State, Brazil. Cad. Sa?de P?blica. 2013; 29(9):1877-88. View Article
- Mascarenhas JMO, Silva RCR, Assis AMO, Pinto EJ, Concei??o JSC, Barreto ML. Symptoms of asthma and associated factors in adolescents from Salvador, Bahia. Rev. Bras. Epidemiol. 2016; 19(1): 181-193. PMid:27167659 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Sousa CA, Galv?o CL, Barros MBA, Carandinal L, Goldbaum M, Pereira JCR. Prevalence of asthma and risk factors associated: population based study in S?o Paulo, Southeastern Brazil, 2008-2009. Rev Sa?de P?blica. 2012; 46(5):825-33. PMid:23128259 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Kuschnir FC, Cunha AJLA, Braga DAC, Silveira HN, Barroso MH, Aires ST. Asthma in 13-14-year-old schoolchildren in the city of Nova Igua?u, Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil: prevalence, severity, and gender differences. Cad. Sa?de P?blica. 2007; 23(4):919-926. View Article
- Huber MP, Tabalipa IO, Oliveira SM, Vanhoni LR, Silva J. Prevalence of asthma symptoms in adolescents of S?o Jose ? SC. Rev. Bras. Med. 2013; 70(4): 124-128.
- Pereira AM, Morais-Almeida M, Santos N, Nunes C, Fonseca JA. Wheezing in preschool children in Portugal ? Prevalence, characterization and association with rhinitis. Rev Port Imunoalergologia. 2014; 22(3): 215-226.
- Cesaroni G, Farchi S, Davoli M, Forastiere F, Perucci CA. Individual and area-based indicators of socioeconomic status and childhood asthma. Eur Respir J. 2003; 22:619-24. PMid:14582914 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Cardoso LS, Oliveira SC, G?es AM, Oliveira RR, Pac?fico LG, Marinho FV, Fonseca CT, Cardoso FC, Carvalho EM, Araujo MI. Schistosoma mansoni antigens modulate the allergic response in a murine model of ovalbumin-induced airway inflammation. Clinical & Experimental Immunology. 2010; 160(2):266?274. PMid:20132231 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Steinfelder S, O'reagan NL, Hartmann S. Diplomatic assistance: can helminth-modulated macrophages act as treatment for inflammatory disease? PLoS Pathog. 2016; 12(4): e1005480. PMid:27101372 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Segura M, Su Z, Piccirillo C, Stevenson MM. Impairment of dendritic cell function by excretory-secretory products: a potential mechanism for nematode-induced immunosuppression. Eur J Immunol. 2007; 37(7):1887-904. PMid:17563917 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Pereg D, Tirosh A, Lishner M, Goldberg A, Shochat T, Confino-Cohen R: Prevalence of asthma in a large group of Israeli adolescents: influence of country of birth and age at migration. Allergy. 2008; 63:1040-1045. PMid:18384451 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Alc?ntara-Neves NM, Britto GSG, Veiga RV, Figueiredo CA, Fiaccone RL, Concei??o JS, Cruz AA, Rodrigues LC, Cooper PJ, Pontes-de-Carvalho LC, Barreto ML. Effects of helminth co-infections on atopy, asthma and cytokine production in children living in a poor urban area in Latin America. BMC Research Notes. 2014; 7(1):817-821. PMid:25410903 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Cardoso LS, Costa DM, Almeida MCF, Souza RP, Carvalho EM, Araujo MI, Oliveira RR. Risk factors for asthma in a helminth endemic area in Bahia, Brazil. J Parasitol Res. 2012; 796820, 8 pages.
- Bragagnoli G, Silva MTN. Ascaris lumbricoides infection and parasite load are associated with asthma in children. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2014; 8(7):891-897. PMid:25022300 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Feary JR, Venn AJ, Mortimer K, Brown AP, Hooi D, Falcone FH, Pritchard DI, Britton JR. Experimental hookworm infection: a randomized placebo-controlled trial in asthma. Clin Exp Allergy. 2010; 40(2):299?306. PMid:20030661 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Feary J, Venn A, Brown A, Hooi D, Falcone FH, Mortimer K, Pritchard DI, Britton J. Safety of hookworm infection in individuals with measurable airway responsiveness: a randomized placebo-controlled feasibility study. Clin Exp Allergy. 2009;39(7):1060-8. PMid:19400893 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Croft AM, Bager P, Kumar S. Helminth therapy (worms) for allergic rhinitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 18:(4):CD009238. View Article
- Djuardi Y, Supali T, Wibowo H, Kruize YC, Versteeg SA, Van Ree R, Sartono E, Yazdanbakhsh M. The development of Th2 responses from infancy to 4 years of age and atopic sensitization in areas endemic for helminth infections. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2013; 8;9(1):13.
- Melnik BC, John SM, Carrera-Bastos P, Schmitz G. Milk: a postnatal imprinting system stabilizing FoxP3 expression and regulatory T cell differentiation. Clin Transl Allergy. 2016; 6:18, 1-9. View Article
- Morishita RYM, Strufaldi MWL e Puccini RF. Clinical evolution and nutritional status in asthmatic children and adolescents enrolled in Primary Health Care. Rev Paul. Pediatr. 2015; 33(4): 387-393. PMid:26316387 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Foga?a HR, Lima FAL, Toro AADCT, Sol? D, Ribeiro JD. Epidemiological aspects of and risk factors for wheezing in the first year of life. J Bras Pneumol. 2014; 40(6):617-625. PMid:25610502 View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Sousa RBS, Medeiros DM, Sarinho E, Rizzo JA, Silva AR, Bianca ACD. Fatores de risco para sibil?ncia recorrente em lactentes: estudo caso-controle. Rev Sa?de P?blica 2016; 50:15. PMid:27143615 PubMed/NCBI
- Saranz RJ, Lozano A, Band?n G, Mari-o AI, Boudet RV, Sarraquigne MP, C?ceres ME, Skrie VC, Bozzola CM, L?pez K, Gervasoni ME, Porfilio BM, Ag?ero C, Orellano F, Sasia LV, Pendino P. Prevention of allergic diseases in childhood: from theory to reality. Arch Argent Pediatr. 2016; 114(3):277-287.
- Feng X, Shuxian Y, Qile Z, Fei L, Weihan C, Minmin W, Haidong K, Dan N, Jinhua X, Zhuohui Z. Residential risk factors for atopic dermatitis in 3- to 6-year old children: a cross-sectional study in Shanghai, China. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2016, 13(537):1-11.
- Oliveira VF, Amor ALM. Association between the occurrence of intestinal parasites and different epidemiological and clinical variables in the community residents Ribeira I, Bahia, Brazil. Rev. Bras. Anal. Clin. 2012; 44(1):15-25.