A. RAJESH, Dr.S.SATHIYAMURTHY
SDRP Journal of Nanotechnology & Material Science
VOLUME: 1 ISSUE: 1
Page No: 55-59
RAJESH, Investigation of Heat Transfer Characteristics of Circular and Diamond Pillared Vane Disc Brake Rotor Using CFD(2018)SDRP Journal of Nanotechnology & Material Science 1(1)
In the present work, an attempt is made to study the effect of vane-shape rotor on the flow-field and heat transfer characteristics for different configurations of vanes for different running speeds using commercial CFD tool. Two types of rotor configurations circular pillared (CP) and diamond pillared radial vane (DP) were considered for the numerical analysis. A rotor segment of 20° was considered for the numerical analysis due to rotational symmetry. The pre processing is carried out with the help of CFD and analysis is carried out using ANSYS. The governing equations namely conservation of mass, momentum and energy are solved for the analysis. The predicted results are validated by the experimental studies available in the literature. The mass flow rate, heat dissipated by the circular pillared vanes are compared with the diamond pillared vanes. The heat dissipation rate through the diamond pillared vanes is more uniform at higher speeds.
Keywords — CFD, Circular Pillared Vane, Diamond Pillared Vane, Vane Shape.
- S. Manohar Reddy, J. M. Mallikarjuna and V. Ganesan, Flow and Heat Transfer Analysis of a Ventilated Disc Brake Rotor Using CFD, journal of SAE, 2008 .
- Zhongzhe Chi, Thermal Performance Analysis and Geometrical Optimization of Automotive Brake Rotors, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, 2008
- Warren Chan, Analysis of Heat Dissipation in Mechanical Braking Systems, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering ,University of California .
- Amol A. Apte and H. Ravi,FE Prediction of Thermal Performance and Stresses in a Disc Brake System, , journal of SAE ,2008.
- Anders Jerhamre and Christer Bergstrom,Numerical study of brake disc cooling accounting for both aerodynamic drag force and cooling efficiency, journal of SAE ,2001.
- Limpert R, The thermal performance of automotive disc brakes, journal of SAE, 1975.
- Parish D, D. G. MacManus, Aerodynamic investigations of ventilated brake discs,. journal of Automobile Engineering, 2005.
- Prasad Ajay K, Particle image velocimetry, journal Of Current Science, 2000.
- Sakamoto H, Heat convection and design of brake discs, journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 2004.
- Voller G. P, M. Tirovic, R. Morris and P. Gibbens Analysis of automotive disc brake cooling characteristics, journal of Automobile Engineering , 2003.
- Rajagopal, T. K.: Numerical Investigation of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer, THERMAL SCIENCE: Year 2014, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 667-675