Sukanya M, Anil R
SDRP Journal of Anesthesia & Surgery
Impact Factor: 0.532
VOLUME: 2 ISSUE: 1
K Vikas Sankar, Clinicopathological correlation of benign breast diseases- An observational study.(2017)SDRP Journal Of Anesthesia & Surgery 2(1)
Introduction: Breasts are the distinguishing characters of the mammals1. Breast is a dynamic organ which undergoes several cyclical changes during the reproductive life and is influenced by the hormones during puberty, menstruation, pregnancy, lactation and menopause. Benign breast diseases (BBD) are common during this reproductive life. These diseases are more common than the breast cancer. The most common symptoms are lump (47%) and pain (37%), the main concern of the patient being if the lump is a malignancy. 30% of the women who suffer from BBDs will require treatment at some time in their lives. The aim of this clinic-pathological study is to exclude malignant breast disease & lay an emphasis on presentation & treatment of benign breast diseases.
- To study the natural history and different modes of clinical presentation of benign breast diseases.
- To study the breast diseases with respect to various pathological presentations.
- To correlate the clinical diagnosis with the histopathological diagnosis in order to refine the diagnostic skills and mend the mistakes committed in the process.
Materials and Methods: 60 patients admitted with benign breast diseases under General Surgery care in HKE’S Basaweshwar Teaching and General Hospital, Gulbarga were taken as Subjects for this study, after obtaining institutional ethical committee clearance & taking the proposed Informed Consent from the patients. Timeline of the Study: 18 months from DEC 2012 to MAY 2014.
Conclusions: Fibroadenoma was the predominant breast tumour occurring in 56.67% of cases. The next common were breast abscess occur in 18.3%, fibroadenosis11.67% and phyllodes tumour 7.5%. 2 found two cases of antibioma. Most common presenting complaint was painless lump(53.3%) Majority of cases presented to the hospital between 1-6 months after noticing the symptoms. FNAC and HPR are diagnostically accurate.
- Sainsburg RC. The breast. In: Russell RCG, Williams NS, Bulsrode CJK editors. Bailey and Love's short practice of surgery.24th edition, Arnold.London. 2004. p.824-846.
- Hughes LE, Mansel RE, Webster DJT. Benign disorders and disease of breast.Concepts and clinical management.2nd edn.Bailliere Tindall. London.1989.
- Johnson D, Shah P, Collins P, Wigley C. Breast. In: Standring S, editor. Gray's anatomy. 38thed. London: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone; 2005: p. 969-976.
- GAG Ducket, DJ du Plessis. Lee McGregors Synopsis of Surgical Anatomy,John Wright & Sons;Bristol:1986,p161-162.
- Chummy S. Sinnatumby: "breast"- Last"s anatomy, Edition 10th, pp.53-55.Churchill- Livingstone Publishers, 1999.
- Schwartz SI, Shire GT, Spencer FC et al. Principle of surgery, 8th edition chapter 14, Breast Published by McGraw-hill2005.
- Raabe MA, McCoshen JA. Epithelial regulation of prolactin effect on amnionic permeability. Am J ObstetGynecol 1986; 154: 130. 90408-4View Article
- Amenta PS (ed). Histology and Human Microanatomy. New York, John Wiley and Sons, 1987; 503.
- Petraglia F, DeLeo V, Nappi C et al. Differences in the opioid control of luteinizing hormone secretion between pathological and iatrogenic hyperprolactinemic states. J Clin EndocrinolMetab 1987; 64: 508. ; PMid:2880862View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Jones BM, Bradbeer JW. The presentation and progress of macroscopic breast cysts
- Haagensen CD. Diseases of the breast.3rd ed. Philadelphia.WB Saunders 1986; PP.
- Hutter RVP. Goodbye to "fibrocystic disease". N Engl J Med 1985; 312: 179. PMid:3965938View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Love SM, Gelman RS, Silen W. Fibrocystic disease of the breast: a non-disease. N Engl J Med 1982; 307: 1010. PMid:7110289View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Fasal E, Paffenbarger RS. Oral contraceptives as related to cancer and benign lesions of the breast. J Natl Cancer Inst 1975; 55: 767. PMid:1185801View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Lees AW, Burns PE, Grace M. Oral contraceptives and breast disease in premenopausal Northern Albertan women. Int J Cancer 1978; 22: 700. PMid:721325View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Scanlon EF. The early diagnosis of breast cancer. Cancer 1981; 48: 523. 48:1+<523::AID-CNCR2820481314>3.0.CO;2-D View Article
- Rosai J. Breast. In: Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology. 9th edn Mosby.Missori. 2004. p. 176-1839
- Harris JR, Lippman ME, Morrow M. Hellman S. Diseases of the breast. Lippincot. Philadelphia. 2000.
- Martin PM, Kutter F, Serment H, et al. Progesterone receptors in breast Fibroadenomas.J SteriodBiochem 1979; 11; 1295. 90198-5View Article
- Sitruk-Wane R, Sterkers N, Manvan's-Jarvis P. Benign breast disease. I.Hormonalinvestigations.ObstetGynecol 1979; 53:457.
- Moran CS. Fibroadenoma of breast during pregnancy and lactation. Arch Surg 1935; 31:688. View Article
- Cyralak D, Wong CH. Mammographic changes in postmenopausal women undergoing hormonal replacement therapy. Am J Roentgenol 1993; 161: 1177. PMid:8249722View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Meyer JE, Freen TN, Polger M, et al. Enlarging occult fibroaadenomas. Radiology 1992; 183: 639. PMid:1584911View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Fechner RE. Fibroadenoma in patients receiving oral contraceptives: a clinical and pathological study. Am J ClinPathol 1970; 53: 857. View Article
- Wilkenson S, Anderson TS, Rifkind E, et al. Fibroadenoma of the breast: a follow- up of conservative management. Br J Surg 1989; 79:390. View Article
- Sharkey FE, Allred DC, Valente PT.In:Linder J, Damjanov 1 editors. Anderson's pathology.10th edn. Mosby. Missouri. 1996. p. 2354-2387.
- Pike AM, Oberman HA. Juvenile (cellular) adenofibromas.Am J SurgPathol 1985; 9: 730. ;PMid:2998214View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Buzanowski-Konakry, Harrison E G Jr, Payne WS. Lobular Carcinoma arising in fibroadenoma of the breast. Cancer 1975; 35:450-456. 35:2<450::AID-CNCR2820350223>3.0.CO;2-R View Article
- Fondo EY, Rosen PP, Fracchia AA, Urban JA. The problem of carcinoma developing in a fibroadenoma: recent experience at Memorial Hospital.Cancer 1979; 43:563. 43:2<563::AID-CNCR2820430224>3.0.CO;2-H View Article
- Diaz NM, Palmer JO,McDivitt RW. Carcinoma arising within fibroadenomas of the breast: a clinico pathological study of 105 patients. Am J Clin Pathol1991; 95: 614. PMid:1850948View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Winchester DP, Lernefsky MH. Diagnostic approach to breast abnormalities.In: Barker RJ, Fischer JE editors. Mastery of surgery.4th edn. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. Philadelphia. 2001. p. 574-587.
- Cant PJ, Madden MV, Panlime M, Lear month,AnneHacking, Dent DM. Case for conservative management of selected fibroadenomas of the breast. Br J Surg 1987; 74: 857-859. PMid:3664257View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Buchanan EB. Cystosarcoma phyllodes and its surgical management. Ann Surg 1995; 61: 350-355.
- Rainville E. Metastatic cystosarcoma phyllodes: a case report. ActaCytol 1993; 37:555-558.PMid:8392256PubMed/NCBI
- Wolfson P, Rybak BJ, Kim U. Cystosarcoma phyllodes metastatic to the pancreas. Am J Gastroenterol 1978; 70: 184-187.PMid:213968PubMed/NCBI
- Rhodes RH, Frankel KA, Davis RL, Tatter D. Metastatic cystosarcoma phyllodes: a report of 2 cases presenting with neurological symptoms. Cancer 1978; 41: 1179-1187. 41:3<1179::AID-CNCR2820410356>3.0.CO;2-PView Article
- Abemayor E, Nast CC, Kessler DJ. Cystosarcoma phyllodes metastatic to the mandible. J SurgOncol 1988; 39: 235-240. View Article
- Norman S. Williams. Christopher J.K. Bulstrode&P.RonanO"Connel. London." The Breast" Bailey & Loves short practice of surgery; Hodder Arnold: 25Th edition-2008,834.
- Carlson H.E. Gynecomastia. New Eng J Med 1980;303:795-9 PMid:6997736View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Cole EN, Sell wood RA, England PC, Breckwoldt M .Serum prolactin concentration on benign breast disease throughout the menstrual cycle. Eur J Cancer 1977;13:59 90122-0View Article
- Fentiman IS, Caleffi M, Hamed H, etal. Dosage and duration of Tamoxifen for mastalgia. A controlled trial. Br J Surg 1988; 75:845. PMid:3052691View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Hermansen C, Poulsen HS, Jensen J, et al. Diagnostic reliability of combined physical examination, mammography, and fine-needle puncture ("triple test") in breast tumors: A prospective study. Cancer 1987; 60: 1866. 60:8<1866::AID-CNCR2820600832>3.0.CO;2-Z View Article
- Dixon JM et al. Reduction of the surgical excision rate in benign breast disease using fine needle aspiration cytology with immediate reporting. Br J Surg 1987; 74: 1014-1016. PMid:3690225View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Gravelle I, Lyons R, Radiological evaluation of benign breast disorders. World J. Surg 1989; 13: 685. PMid:2696220View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Preece PE, GravilleIH, Hughes LE et al. The operative management of subclinical breast cancer. Clinical Oncology 1977; 3: 165. PMid:872469 PubMed/NCBI
- Kopans DB, De Luca SA. Modified needle hook wire technique to simplifypreoperative localisation of breast lesions. Radiology 1980; 134: 781. PMid:7355235View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Basset LW, Kimme ? Smith C. Breast Sonography. AJR 1991; 156: 449. PMid:1899737View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Smallwood J, Guyer PB, Dewbyry KG et al. The accuracy of ultrasound in the diagnosis of breast disease. Ann R CollSugnEngl 1986; 68: 19.
- Staren ED. Surgical office based ultrasound of the breast. AM Surg 1983; 61: 619.
- Sickles EA, Klein DA, Goodson WH, Hunt TK. Mammography after fine needle aspiration of palpable breast masses. Am J Surg 1983; 145: 392-7. 90210-6View Article
- Physician Insurer's Association of America. Breast Cancer Study. Washington DC,1995.
- Kern KA. Breast biopsy in young women. Am J Surg 1993; 166: 776. 80700-7View Article
- Helvie MA, Baker DE, Adler DD, et al. Radiographically guided fine-needle aspiration of nonpalpable breast lesions. Radiology 1989; 171: 373. PMid:2539608View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Parker SH, Lovin JD, Jobe WE, et al. Nonpalpable breast lesions: Stereotactic automated large-core biopsies. Radiology 1991; 180: 403. PMid:1648757View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Kelley WF, Bailey R, Bertelsen C, Diaco J, Iiagans JE, Kritzky K et al. Stereotacti automated surgical biopsy using the ABBI biopsy device: a multicentric study. Breast 1998; 4:302 - 6. View Article
- Janes RH, Bouton MS. Initial 300 consecutive stereotactic core needle breast biopsy by a surgical group. Am J Surg 1994; 169: 533. 80117-5View Article
- Drew PJ, Monson JRT.Magnetic resonance mammography. Br J Surg 1996; 83:1316. View Article
- Fischer U, Vosshenrich R, Doler W et al. MR imaging guided breast intervention experience with two systems. Radiology 1995; 195: 593. PMid:7724779View Article PubMed/NCBI
- MangiAA, Smith BL, GaddMA, et al. Surgical management of phylloidestumors. ArchSurg 1999;134:487-49 PMid:10323420View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Beechey-Newman N, Kulkarni D, Kothari A et al. Breast duct microendoscopy innipple discharge: micro brush improves cytology. Surgical Endoscopy 2005;12:1648-1651. PMid:16222469View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Govindarajulu S, NareddySR,ShereMhet al. Sonographically guided mammotome excision of the ducts in the diagnosis and management of single duct nipple discharge. Europian Journal of Surgical Oncology 2006; 32:725-728. PMid:16793236View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Barros AC, Mottola J, Ruiz CA, et al. Reassurance in the treatment of mastalga.Breast J 1999;5:162. PMid:11348279View Article PubMed/NCBI
- Ory H, Cole P, MacMohan B. Oral contraceptives and reduced risk of benign breast disease. New Eng J Med 1976; 294: 419. PMid:1246309 View Article PubMed/NCBI