Characteristics and dispositional determinants of psychiatric emergencies in a University Hospital in Beirut.

Affiliation

Departments of Family and Emergency Medicine, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon. Electronic address: [Email]

Abstract

Mental health problems are common in Lebanon, and so are psychiatric emergencies. In order to show the characteristics of psychiatric emergencies in Lebanon along with their dispositional determinants, we conducted this retrospective, single-center, chart-review study of patients who presented to the Emergency Department between July 1, 2016 until December 31, 2016 and required an official psychiatrist consultation. Our sample included 195 patients of all age groups. The most common diagnosis was depression (75 patients) followed by anxiety (61 patients). 107 patients (54.8%) required admission for adequate treatment; however only 72 (67.3%) of those were actually admitted, and the rest (32.7%) left the hospital against medical advice. Increased hospital admission was associated with being a female (OR = 3.042), having family history of psychiatric disease (OR = 2.040) and having suicidal ideations (OR = 12.949). In a country that has inadequate health coverage, financial coverage can also be a determining factor in whether or not patients get the admission they need.

Keywords

Disposition,Emergency department,Lebanon,Mental health,Psychiatric emergencies,

OUR Recent Articles